Did You Know You Can Prepare Filet Mignon on a Big Green Egg?!
It’s National Filet Mignon Day! Did you know?!
While it appears there is a day for everything these days, Jacksons Home & Garden thought we’d take advantage of this fun little “extra” holiday to share something we recently learned from one of our vendors, the Big Green Egg:
You can prepare Filet Mignon on an EGG! What?!
It’s just one of the reasons why we love Big Green Egg products. They are so versatile and make backyard grilling and smoking a breeze. If you’re interested in learning more about Big Green Egg products, other smokers on the market, or just want to browse our wide selection of grills and smokers, then come see us anytime at Jacksons Home & Garden – your #1 Dallas Big Green Egg dealer! In the meantime, here is a recipe for filet mignon with mushrooms and an herb butter sauce that you can make right on your EGG:
Filet Mignon with Mushrooms & Herb Butter Sauce
· 4 beef tenderloin steaks, about 6 oz. and cut 1 inch thick
· 1 T. butter
· 1.5 cups assorted mushrooms, cut in half or whole if small (This can include button, cremini, chanterelle, shiitake, enoke, straw, and more.)
· 1.5 cups beef broth
· ¼ cup shallots, minced
· ½ tsp. chopped fresh thyme
· 1 T. cornstarch
· 1 T. water
1. Turn your EGG on to the direct cooking mode at approx. 600 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place the steaks on the grill and let them cook for 2 minutes. Flip and cook for 2 minutes. Then, flip again and cook for 2 more minutes. Your total cook time is approx. 6 minutes and one side will have cooked twice; one side once. You can use a digital meat thermometer to check the internal temperature and verify the interior is cooked to your desired level.
3. Once the meat is done, remove it, season it with salt and pepper, and then let it rest to let the juices redistribute throughout the meat.
4. While that is resting, change the temperature of your EGG to 350 degrees and move the setting to indirect cooking.
5. Add butter to a pan designed for frying on an EGG (such as the Stir Fry and Paella Pan).
6. Once butter is melted, add mushrooms and shallots, cooking until they are tender, about 3-5 minutes.
7. Add broth and thyme to the pan and bring to a boil. Stir constantly to remove brown bits from the bottom and prevent burning. Reduce heat.
8. In a separate bowl, combine cornstarch and water, then add to the pan with mushrooms and shallots.
9. Cook the mixture for just a few minutes until a thick sauce appears, season with extra salt and pepper, and enjoy!
If you’re ready to explore everything the Big Green Egg has to offer – or would like to see other grills and smokers available – come see us at Jacksons Home & Garden! It’s the perfect time to get your backyard ready for football season!